Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Prince, I Miss You.

I had a border collie named Prince. My best friend gave him to me a few years back and I loved him ever since.

His favorite thing to do was run in open grass and eat things he wasn't supposed to.

I spoke to him everyday when I got home from school, work or anything really. He was there when no one else was. Before, I felt like I was the loneliest person in the world, but when he came into my life, everything felt okay.

My favorite memory of him was when we were out for a walk one night. A few blocks from home, we encountered a huge stray dog, bigger than Prince. They were nose to nose with each other, tails pointed up and both as stiff as taxidermy.

I didn't know what to do. Animal control was not in service and it seemed like a trivial thing to call 911 about. The best I could do was prepare for the worse. Before I knew it, Prince as fast as a fencer's lunge, bit the dog's nose and it squealed and ran away into the alleyway. He looked at me with the happiest face ever and wagged his tail gleefully, as if nothing happened. 

My biggest regret is that I never took much pictures of him or of our time together.

I had planned to take him to Prescott, Arizona because I heard that month was when the grass fields were as green as ever with mountains and forest trees in the background, like it was a scene from The Sound of Music. I could imagine him running about for hours on end. 

He passed away on November 2nd, 2017, due to medical complications. 

We were suppose to go to Prescott together that week, but it never happened. The following months felt so cold and lonely like it used to be. I don't think I can get another dog for awhile.

Like many other people and things in my life that I care about, when I think of him, I just want to keep moving forward. My time with him is over now, but he will always have a part of my soul tucked away that no else can have.

Prince, I miss you. I hope you're running in green fields forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment