Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Shoyu Ramen: Round 2 

Last time I made shoyu ramen it came out bland and it didn't taste as good. Now I tried to follow other recipes methods and techniques and this time It didn't come out as bad, but it's far from perfect.

For the broth it was very chicken forward with some hints of sea ingredients. It consisted of 4 kg of young chicken, 1 kg of chicken feet and 2-3 kg of stewing hens. Lots of kombu, niboshi and bonito flakes at the end. I've managed to extract a lot of chicken fat for the next batch of ramen aroma oil. For this batch of aroma oil, I bought jarred rendered chicken fat and slowly infused it with garlic, green onions and ginger until aromatic and contents golden brown. 

Tare was a complete failure. I wasn't keeping track of it reducing and became a burnt sludge. I had to improvise and strain whatever salvageable liquid there was and water it down with soy sauce. It was exciting to see so many brews of soy sauce to choose from for this ramen. For this 2nd round of shoyu ramen tare I used Chinese dark soy sauce, Hawaiian general purpose soy sauce, and Japanese 500 day aged soy sauce from Kyoto.

Toppings was chashu made from 2 hour seared and braised pork belly, store bought menma/bamboo shoots, narutomaki fish cake, ramen egg, dried nori and lots of green onions.

Lots of room for improvement. Cheers!

Bone apple tea

2 hour chashu

6 hour broth

Tare prior to me burning it :(

No comments:

Post a Comment